Blogs by Category

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Book - The Dream Giver

I really got alot out of this book by Bruce Wilkinson. The story starts out as a parable about a man named Ordinary. Ordinary has a big dream and there are bullies that prevent him from reaching his big dream. Ordinary asks, "How do I get all my Bullies on my side?" Ordinary is told, "Well, you might not be able to. Wisdom is the key. Try to understand what's motivating them. Look for the merit of their concerns. Some Bullies you need to simply dismiss or avoid. But most Border Bullies have concerns that can help you clarify your plans. That's how a Dreamer turns opposition into opportunity. .... Remember, when Bullies try to block your way, what matters most is who you choose to please!" 

I have had 'border bullies' in my life and this really helped me to see them in a positive light vs. negative. They can help to clarify your plans. They can help you to figure out if your plans are good plans - plans that can stand up to criticism tend to be well laid plans that will work out. So the border bullies play a good role. I always just saw them as opposition and it was painful for me as often the border bullies were those close to me. I just wanted their love and support and not their opposition. I found it helpful to view them in this light. 

The most important aspect though is to determine who we are aiming to please. Is the aim to please the border bullies or is it to please God? And sometimes we need to disregard the border bullies in order to do what God wants. Ultimately, it is only God who we need to concern ourselves with and seek His approval in all we do. 

Excellent book and I highly recommend reading it. 

No comments: