Blogs by Category

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Northpoint Lighthouse Tour

This is the Northpoint Lighthouse. I found it interesting that this lighthouse is located in a neighborhood. It seemed like an odd location. It made sense once we took the tour. They told us this lighthouse was not in this location to warn of danger but as a beacon to let ships find the harbor. The tower eventually had to be build higher so that it was above the tree line. The beacon light could be seen from the lake and used as a marker to find the entrance to the harbor.

We started out --- 3 kids and I - at the bottom of the lighthouse tower. It was really, very sturdy and a very nice climb. Most of it was stairs as in this picture and we would climb up to a floor level. The stairs were solid iron but were see-through. I tend to not like highs on a cliff but this was just fine with me. Still, we made it up one level and the little one said - ahhhh, I want to go back down. He decided to wait about where he is standing in this picture. At the bottom, on solid ground.
And then there were two - the middle child and I made it up to the last leg of the climb. It was a short ladder to the hatch. The top level was enclosed in glass. The view was spectacular. We found it amazing that this lighthouse had a woman keeper for 30 years. And she climbed this climb in a skirt carrying a 5 gallon bucket of oil - up this ladder!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Cool! We had the opportunity a few years ago to tour a lighthouse at Ponce Inlet in New Smyrna Beach, FL. We climbed all the way to the top and I got dizzy going up! And when we reached the top and walked outside on the little balcony that encircled it, I almost had a panic attack! I don't guess I've ever been more afraid of anything than I was that day. I immediately backed up against the wall and inched my way back through the door (lol). Dear hubby and kids loved it, though, and didn't seem at all afraid. I do like lighthouses, but I'll enjoy the view from the ground floor next time we visit one (lol).