Blogs by Category

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fresh Corn Salad


This was really delicious. A great salad to make for the summer. Light, fresh. Does have a bit of a zip to it. Be warned though - it makes quite a lot. I am showing a small portion here in the picture - that I packed up for my parents to take home.

8 ears of corn, shucked
6 fresh tomatoes, chopped (I used Roma tomatoes)
2 cucumbers (The recipe said to peel, seed and chop - I didn't do that. I used only one cucumber but I used the whole thing. I did not peel or seed the cucumber.)
2 green onions, chopped
1 green sweet pepper, seeded and chopped. (I also added a red, yellow and orange sweet pepper - seeded and chopped)
1 jalapeno - seeded and chopped. (I don't like things too spicy so I only used 1/2 of the jalapeno.)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush corn with a little olive oil. Grill corn until lightly browned, turning to cook evenly. Cool. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from cobs.

2. Toss corn with tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, vinegar and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss and marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving.

3 comments:

Our Blessed Journey said...

mmmm, another good one!

Our Blessed Journey said...

ooh, another good one!

Debbie said...

Yes it was very, very good. My mom wasn't so sure about it at first. When she first saw it, she said 'wow there is alot of corn.' Well, it is a corn salad! She tried it and found she really liked it.

I have to confess I only used half of the jalapeno - and that was more then enough for me. If you like things with a bit more spice I think you could easily add the whole jalapeno or even two of them. Spicy is just not my thing. I like flavor but not hot and spicy.