Blogs by Category

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

cut out all soy

I have cut out all soy from my diet ---- interestingly I have had several people tell me that they really don't eat soy and cutting out soy would be easy for them. Then I started listing what soy is in - soy is used as a filler in so many things I don't think people realize how much soy they are truly getting. So here is a list of just a few things I found soy in - the list is endless - so I am just listing some.

Soy is found in the following:

Shortening - so anything made with shortening - many baked goods unless you make it at home and don't use shortening.

Almost all processed crackers, cookies and chips - unless you buy organic

Most breads - even though we were buying the good breads - whole wheat or rye from the bakery - they had soy.

Soy is in many types of chocolate - especially many chocolate chips

Mayo - is made with soy - so all salads with mayo used as a base

Tuna in a can - yep - even when it says tuna and water - they throw in soy - only the very expensive albacore white tuna is truly just tuna and water.

Vitamins - no kidding

Gum --- this was a killer for me - I LOVE to chew gum.

Chinese food - think soy sauce (sadly I love Chinese food - I have found that I can modify some of the recipes and make them without soy sauce - still kind of a tough one) 

Various forms of tea - this was just so sad for me - I love tea and drink it alot - now I drink organic decaf green tea. But I had to give up my favorite - Constant Comment - most Bigelow teas have soy in them.

Granola bars - isn't this just a sad one to give up - I now make my own - my family loves them but since I have also given up sugar in any form (except that found in fresh fruit) I haven't eaten the granola bars I made - they had honey in them. Family said they were good though.

Soy lecithin is an incomplete form of soy but still soy - and I have had to give that up --- that is often the form of soy you see added into many things. Still, it is soy.

Again - this is just a few things off the top of my head

No comments: