Blogs by Category

Friday, December 26, 2008

Cookie delivery

Every year, we bake enough cookies to share some with our neighbors. It is one way we share our love for our wonderful neighbors. One of our dear sweet neighbors is an elderly man. He lost his wife many, many years ago. He does not bake and even much of his cooking seems to be TV dinners. My husband and youngest son went delivering cookies in the afternoon. About 45 minutes later the neighbor called to ask if we were going to the grocery store and could we pick up some items for him. In the course of the conversation, he thanked me for the cookies and laughingly confessed he had eaten most of them. I actually didn't believe that he had quite eaten the whole plateful until my husband dropped off the groceries. He came back laughing. Yes the plate only had 3 or 4 cookies left. Wow. Obviously he thought they were good but that had to have given him a gut ache. I did send the youngest over with more cookies the next day. 

That is one of the reasons we always bake cookies -- to share them. I remember when my grandmother was elderly. She couldn't cook for herself anymore. Plus, she always used to say she didn't like to make a whole batch of cookies. It was too much for one person to eat and who wants a whole batch of one variety. It is much better to have a smaller quantity and have a variety of cookies. 

Some of these neighbors were the dear sweet people that helped out my grandfather when he was older. Now that we live here I feel blessed and privileged to be able to give back to these people who were so caring to my grandfather.  

No comments: