Blogs by Category

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cheddar Potato Chowder

This is a family favorite and it is one of the ways I am able to get my picky middle child to eat veggies. Shhhhhh - don't tell him but this soup is loaded with veggies but because it is a cheesy soup, he loves it. You can see all the veggies in this picture.

Below is the finished product. Once the cheese is added, the veggies seem to diminish. While, of course they are still there, they just aren't in your face. A key feature for that veggie avoiding picky eater of mine!
It is just a fantastic tasting soup. Would be great with home-aide rolls or biscuits to dunk in the soup.

Here is the recipe (it is from Taste of Home magazine)

2 cups of water
2 cups of diced unpeeled red potatoes
1 cup of diced carrots
1/2 cup of diced celery
1/4 cup of chopped onion (I add more)
1 t. salt (I skip this)
1/4 t. pepper (I add more)
1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham (I add more)

In a dutch over, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, put the flour and gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add cheese. Stir until melted. Stir ham and cheese sauce into the undrained vegetables; stir until combined.

2 comments:

tabrandt said...

mmmm mmmm good. I had 2... yes 2 big bowls tonight and it was good.

Debbie said...

Okay - so did I!! On a cold, rainy day there is just nothing better. And we have had lots of rain lately. I am so glad you loved the soup! And glad you got some. Honestly with a teenage boy in the house, food goes quickly. :)