Blogs by Category

Thursday, October 4, 2012

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay

Front Cover

This book is by the author that also wrote Sarah's Key. I simply loved Sarah's Key. This book was good but unsettling at the end. There were clues along the way to indicate that the author was going to end it in such a way - still I was surprised. I kept hoping for a 'good' ending. In the end, it seemed that the author was putting way too little value on life and way too much value on a structure. While the structure represented a way of life and memories. It was the link to the past and a link to the deceased husband. I do get that but ultimately I value life - a person's life as being far more valuable. It seems like the main character never really got passed the death of her husband and wasn't able to find a new normal. That is just very sad. 

The book was very well written and I do like her style of writing. This story was really told through letters, of course the main letter being the one that Rose was writing to her dead husband. It was almost a journal of sorts. I am not sure I am on board with her worldview though. Life should triumph. And suicide is not God's plan for us. 

No comments: