Blogs by Category

Friday, June 28, 2013

A Step of Faith - book 4 in The Walk series by Richard Paul Evans



I am so excited - the fourth book in The Walk series is out. I just got it this week at the library and am so excited to begin reading. The beginning has already grabbed me. 

"Am I dying? It's a stupid question, really, as we've all got an expiration date. I guess the real question is not if, but when." p. 4

I had a very good friend that when I was diagnosed with breast cancer decided that she knew my expiration date and didn't want to be friend any more. She didn't want to be around to watch me die. I was really hurt at the time. I wanted to say to her at the time - Who do you think you are? God? Only God knows my end date and thankfully you're not Him! I was so profoundly hurt that I couldn't even say anything but walked away from the whole situation. Sadly, she missed the real point. We all have an expiration date --- some of us might get glimpses as to when ours is coming --- some of us it takes us totally by surprise. But we all have an expiration date. So she came face to face with that fact --- and sadly she didn't have enough faith to handle it. She felt she had gotten to see that I have an expiration date and ran away from it --- is she planning to shun everyone that has one? Now I am just sad for her - because she is missing out on so much. By shunning everyone that is going to die her world must be a very lonely place. 

I had another friend that was going through ovarian cancer at the time - and sadly she lost her battle. But it was by watching her going through that, that I got to really see her strength, her courage, her love for her family and Christ. I got to know her even better and found an amazing example. I am a better person for having known her through her cancer journey. Watching someone else battle for life also puts in perspective the blessings in my life. It made me more grateful for my family and each day I had was more of a gift as I realized it was not a given. Not all of us have a tomorrow. Now if we just lived with that in mind - wouldn't the world be a better place. 

No comments: