Blogs by Category

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Simply Delicious Amish Cooking by Sherry Gore



This is really a fun, neat book. It gives us some insight into the Amish of Sarasota, Florida. It begins with a history of the Amish and Mennonites and an explanation of what is The Budget. Then there are lots of recipes that were submitted from many Amish / Mennonites --- everything from bread/rolls, soups & salads, to pies, cookies and bars. Through out the recipe section are antidotes that were sent in from some of the members in the community. It gives a glimpse into their life. 

I can't wait to try many of the recipes but I have to say that I was surprised that they aren't 'healthier'. While one would think of an Amish meal as home-aide, some of the ingredients were processed, boxed and canned items. That surprised me. I figured it would be 'healthier'. I am sure they are good but due to allergies in our family some of the processed foods are just not something we can do. 

This books was provided for free from Booksneeze in exchange for a honest review. 

No comments: