Blogs by Category

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Brassicas by Laura B. Russell

brassicas-book-page

This is from the author's website: 

Acclaimed by doctors and nutritionists for their miraculous health benefits, brassicas such as kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage can also be the most delicious part of your meal when properly prepared. The 80 inventive recipes in Brassicas play to each vegetable’s strengths, favoring techniques that celebrate their intrinsic flavors instead of masking them under layers of cheese or boiling them to death. Think of the inherent sweetness that can be coaxed from perfectly roasted Brussels sprouts, or the bright, peppery punch of a watercress and arugula salad.

You can find more info from the author by clicking here

I think this is going to be one of my FAVORITE cookbooks. Wow - I am impressed. First, I eat lots of Kale -- I have it growing in my garden right now. Kale is just one of my favorites. I also eat lots of brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage - I actually eat a variety of these daily. To find new recipes and ways to serve them is soooooo exciting. I can't wait to try the Kale and Sweet Potato Saute. It sounds yummy. Her recipes look easy to make and yet very healthy. The Tropical Radish Rice Salad also sounds delicious. Each chapter covers one of the types of Brassicas. The introduction to each chapter tells about that brassicas, how to select and prepare them, plus their nutritional value. 

The recipes and the information look fantastic. This one is a real winner!

I almost forgot this --- and to our family it is probably THE most IMPORTANT aspect of what makes this book great --- p. 158-160 is a special diets table where at a glance you can view the recipes and determine what will work for your dietary needs and what won't. In our family we have one person that can't have dairy, two of us can't have gluten and one of us can't have soy. Yes, we are a JOY to cook for. (sarcasm dripping!) This table makes it so easy - at a quick glance I can easily determine what would be okay and what is out for us. Love it! Wish all cookbooks were as thoughtful to the consumer!

I received this book from Blogging for Books for free in exchange for a honest review.

No comments: