Blogs by Category

Monday, November 2, 2009

Christmas Books

I just love to get the latest sappy, wonderful Christmas book and read them at this time of year. It is just my way of 'getting into the Christmas spirit'. I love to sit up late, drinking tea and reading wrapped in a nice warm blanket with the lights of the tree on. And no we have not set up our tree but that is my ideal. The Christmas books don't tend to be in the library at Christmas time and so I start early so I get to read them before Christmas - and I save the money on purchasing them.

I just finished the latest one by Donna VanLiere titled The Christmas Secret and it was fabulous. A warm, touching story. Full of all the good things and feelings that make us feel so good about Christmas. Great story - easy, quick read. It has a great moral about how God calls us to relationships and that we are to help out others less fortunate than ourselves. An especially great message at Christmas.

I have also decided to start reading our Advent stories. (I know I am rushing the season!) What I found last year was that we never finished Tabitha's Travels which so disappointed the children. Jotham's Journey was the highlight of the season for them the year before. But it is during hockey season and we end up with tournaments out of town during December. Plus we have practice most nights of the week and rarely is the family all at home together. I kept putting off the readings so all would be present. And we never got to finish the book. This year I have decided to start earlier and therefore if we need to miss a day or weekend due to travel and practices - we can still finish the book. Well, that is my goal. What is important is the message and not when or what date the message is delivered on. So we are modifying the Advent schedule. It does feel like I am rushing the season, kind of like the retailers do to squeeze every last dollar out of the buying public. Although, clearly my reason for rushing the season is not as much of a negative. Although I do feel badly that somehow we weren't able to make a family advent reading a priority last year. In my heart it was but that didn't seem to carry through to the schedule. I am striving to be better this year even if it means starting early.

Sadly, I have to confess I have also started the Christmas shopping but that is because financially spreading out the purchases is easier on the budget than doing it all at once. Plus I found deals and knew the person I was buying for would love it.

I wanted to read Bartholomew's Passage since I got that one new this year. The kids wanted to read Tabitha's Travels since we didn't finish it last year. So we compromised and are doing a reading from both each night. Hopefully, that won't mean that both books end up not finished this year. Wouldn't that be a sad ending to my over-diligence!! Maybe, by blogging about our readings I can stay more faithful. We did such a good job with Jotham but as my kids get older their sports schedules get far more demanding. The saving grace is that it will count as a full credit for phy ed on my oldest's transcript! I have to keep reminding myself that when I feel like it is getting in the way of school and learning. It is school, too!

Well, now that this post has rambled from books, to Christmas, to school - I have no real idea of what category to put this one in. Hmmmmm!

But for any of you looking for great Advent reading with your children - I can highly recommend the series - Jotham's Journey begins the series and then Tabitha's Travels and Bartholomew's Passage. They are extremely good for children of all ages and my children really love them. Bartholomew does have some darker themes and can be 'scarier' for littler or more sensitive children. The other two are not. All are great Advent stories and help to stay focused on Jesus during the season. Ultimately that is the goal and honestly, staying focused on Jesus for two months instead of just one - might turn out to be a real plus! Of course that is all dependent upon actually finishing the books - otherwise I have just stretched it out to no avail.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Great idea to start the advent reading early. Wish I had thought of that. I think we may do that! We've already started practicing Christmas carols (we always start those Nov 1) so why not start Christmas reading early?

And.. I also shop early!

Melissa said...

Oh I agree with Cynthia...what a great idea to start the advent reading early! I think I'll borrow that idea from you. Last year we read Jotham's Journey and it took us longer to finish it than I'd planned for because we too are right in the middle of sports schedules (basketball) to work around. We are out of the house at least two nights per week for games, not to mention practices, so I understand your dilemma completely!

And I'm glad you clarified which order that series is supposed to be read. I thought it was Bartholomew's Passage next. Thanks!

I like your idea of stretching Christmas out. You are right; it will do us alot of good to spend more time focusing on Jesus! And I already have made the habit of getting out my Christmas cds at the first of November, so beginning our advent reading now makes alot of sense!

Thanks for the idea! And happy reading!

Karies place said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Yes, Christmas is my MOST favorite holiday next to Easter.

Debbie said...

Thank you Cynthia and Melissa. I am so glad you liked the idea of starting early with advent. I honestly have been feeling very guilty that we didn't finish our advent readings last year and it was the only thing I could think to do to get it all in. I was feeling guilty about the priorities. I think this solution will work though. I am going to feel really guilty if even after starting early we don't finish the books.

Debbie said...

Karie,

Hey, it is good to hear from you! Hope all is well with your family. I think you were all sick there for awhile! Is everyone better?