Blogs by Category

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Good recipe

My husband and son loved these breakfast bars. And they are very healthy.

Oat & Almond Breakfast Bars

1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lg. egg
2 c. old-fashioned oats, uncooked
3/4 c. all-purpose flour (I used wheat)
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. toasted wheat germ
1/2 c. raisins
3/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Line 13x9 metal baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease foil.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oil, honey, vanilla and egg.
4. In a large bowl, with fork, mix oats, flour, sugar, almonds, wheat germ, raisins and salt until combined.
5. With rubber spatula, stir honey mixture into oat mixture until blended, scrape into prepared pan. With wet hand, pat oat mixture evenly into pan.
6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until pale golden around edges. Cool completely in pan about 1 hours.
7. When cool, transfer using foil to cutting board. Cut into bars.

Hint: I found it would be better to double the batch so they are thicker in the pan. If you don't double the batch watch the cooking time - I think it should be less so they don't get too brown and stay chewy.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I have seen this recipe before, but have never tried it...sounds good. I think I'll give it a try!

Blessings!