Blogs by Category

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The birthday cake

Happy Birthday, JJ


The birthday ice cream cake turned out wonderful. It was completely dairy free. Amazing! There is one thing I would do different but still overall it was great! Even those of us that can have dairy liked it.

3 cups of graham crackers crumbs
2/3 cup butter melted
Combine and press mixture into 9-inch springform pan - coating the bottom and the sides.
Freeze solid (about 30 minutes)

Next it called for a layer of fudge but there is no fudge that is dairy free. I substituted by melting chocolate chips that have no dairy and spreading it on --- this created a very hard layer that was difficult to cut through. I recommend just using hersey's chocolate and drizzling a layer on top.

1 1/2 qts chocolate ice cream (I used Purely Decadent Dairy Free Chocolate Obsession - contains soy and coconut)
3/4 cup toasted almonds (I didn't use this as JJ didn't want it.)
1 cup mini marshmallows
Soften ice cream and mix together.
Spread over hersey's layer
Freeze until firm

Spread a layer of hersey's chocolate. Freeze

1 qt. vanilla ice cream. (I used Purely Decadent Dairy free Purely Vanilla)
Soften and spread on top of the last layer.
Freeze solid.

Then place oven rack 6 inches from broiler. Top cake with 1 1/2 cups marshmallows. Place under broiler 1 to 2 minutes until marshmallows are toasted. Then return to freezer. When firm, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 5 hours or up to 3 days.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

It looks VERY YUMMY!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Looks delish! Happy belated birthday to JJ!

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

How neat! It looks very good. Glad it was a success.

Debbie said...

Thank you all. I have to confess that I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out - it really tasted good. And that is saying alot because I like my dairy. This brand of soy ice cream is really good though.

Our Blessed Journey said...

wow, that looks SUPER YUMMY!! Happy birthday to your son!!!

Melissa said...

Okay so I now I seem to be copying what everyone else said, but that cake looks absolutely delicious! And it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to make.

Happy Belated Birthday to your son!