Blogs by Category

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

recipe - Slow Cooker Indian Chicken Stew


As you can see the pictures look different ---- it is suppose to have the green stuff (fresh spinach) but I have some that dislike fresh spinach. Plus, I didn't think that the spinach would be good reheated the second day (and I knew I would have some leftovers. It made alot and 2 in my family don't like trying new things). So I didn't follow the directions exactly - at the end you are suppose to mix in the fresh spinach into the slow cooker and allow it to stand 2 to 3 minutes so the spinach wilts. I just added it on the plates and it only wilted slightly. I liked it that way - and for those that were anti-spinach - I left it off altogether.

It was very good but a different taste - if you aren't used to Indian foods. But it was mild. Some Indian foods can be very spicy --- and this one does say add black pepper or cayenne pepper - I did black pepper. You could spice it up with they cayenne.

2 lbs. boneless chicken - cut up
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper and/or cayenne pepper
2 15 oz. cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf (I didn't have this)
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 9 oz. pkg. fresh spinach (optional)
Rice

1. Lightly coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Add chicken, onion and garlic to slow cooker. Add curry powder, ginger and pepper. Toss to coat. Stir in drained beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low setting for 8 to 10 hours.

2. Stir lime juice into cooked stew. Stir spinach leaves into stew and let stand 2 to 3 minutes to wilt.

Serve with rice.

No comments: