Blogs by Category

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rachel's Secret by BJ Hoff

Rachel's Secret, Riverhaven Years Series #1   -              By: B.J. Hoff

I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. This is the first in the series and I do plan on getting the second one in the series. With that said I do have to say that I found the ending totally unrealistic. The river boat captain, Jeremiah Gant was injured while helping slaves to escape to Canada. He is a conductor on the underground railroad. Rachel is Amish and takes him in when he shows up at her door injured. And I was right with all she was writing about until the ending. (And I am sorry but to explain my point I have to give a bit of the ending away!) Jeremiah falls in love with Rachel and decides he is going to become Amish. He does make steps in that direction such as buying a carpentry business where Rachel's brother works. The owner was selling and Rachel's brother was worried he wouldn't have a job. So this solves that plus it gives Jeremiah an acceptable Amish type of employment. On the other hand, it alludes to the fact that Jeremiah intends to continue to help the underground railroad. This is not something that the Amish allow. They stay out of those issues even if they felt slavery was wrong. So this will be an issue for him. Plus, he is not one to stand on the sidelines while others get injured. The book has several incidents where the Amish are attacked for their faith and they believe in forgiving and not seeking justice. They leave justice up to God. Jeremiah believes in justice and while he doesn't elaborate his beliefs they are in conflict with being Amish. So over all, I think the ending is unrealistic.

No comments: