Blogs by Category

Friday, November 12, 2010

Fun book for Thanksgiving


Book Cover

I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie by Alison Jackson

What a fun book! My 7 year old and I read the book and then we made Pumpkin Pie Bites (basically bite size pies --- so they could swallow a pie too!)

Don't they look delicious!


This was such a fun book and a fun activity --- but (don't laugh) the child I did this with is actually allergic to dairy. So he couldn't eat the pumpkin bites. I made the pie crust from scratch instead (the recipe called for refrigerator ready to roll pies). Since I made it myself I knew there was no dairy in the crust - so I made extra. Then I let JJ roll it out, cut it into strips. He put cinnamon and sugar on them --- and baked. Mmmmmm Mmmmm good! That was JJ's treat and he was very happy with it.
Putting the cinnamon and sugar on is quite the process and totally fun when you are 7!
Recipe for Pumpkin Pie Bites

I made my own pie crust dough.

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1/2 sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Use a cookie cutter to cut out 24 round shapes from each pie crust. Make sure the dough is rolled very thin.

Press dough into mini muffin tray. It is recommended that you use a 24 cup mini muffin tray - make 12 at a time, alternating cups to make sure pie crusts don't overlap each other. I only had a 12 cup mini muffin tray and just decided to go for it. I made all 12 at once.

Apply egg whites from one egg to the top edge of each pie.

Mix cream cheese, sugar, canned pumpkin, remaining 2 eggs, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice together until thoroughly combined.

Spoon mixture into each pumpkin-shaped pie crust.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes --- I don't know what was up on this --- but mine took closer to 30 minutes each.

Remove pies to cool and repeat. Place muffin tray in the freezer to cool it quickly for re-use. (I didn't do this. I actually washed and dried the tray - then re-used. Maybe a bit of anal-retentiveness there but hey!)

This is the site I got the recipe from - click here

One of the best things about making fun treats is sharing!
JJ is all set - he took some of the wonderful treats plus Whipped Cream to our dear, sweet, wonderful neighbor. We hope they enjoyed them.

No comments: