Blogs by Category

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Great book to read during Advent Season

(Okay I guess I have to admit I am rushing the season a bit - but I find we have to start early. We have 3 boys all in hockey and I never seem to find time to get everyone together for our Advent readings. We tended to do it only 3 days a week instead of the 7. I was literally going all through January to finish the books. I decided to allow our 'anticipation' of the coming of Christ, i.e our family Advent time, to be longer than traditional Advent. This way we get in all the wonderful readings! We, therefore, start in November. My husband teases me about being like the retail stores! Pretty soon I will be decorating in October like they do!)

The Light of Christmas


We just read a wonderful book called The Light of Christmas by Richard Paul Evans. He is the same author of the Christmas Box (another great read).

This story is very endearing. It is about a boy, Alexander, that walks to town to see the Keeper of the Flame come to light the torch. On his way, he sees an old man lying in the snow - cold and alone. Alexander can't be late as the gates to the city will close. He would then miss the ceremony. Alexander gives the man his extra cloak and a sip of his hot cider to warm the man. He knows he can't lift the man himself - so he heads into town to find help. No one from town will leave to help as they would be locked outside the gates and miss the ceremony. The boy decides he has to go back to help the man himself.

This story is very much like the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37. Our family read the Light of Christmas and then followed that up with the reading from the bible on the Good Samaritan. It was a wonderful lesson. My kids enjoyed the book. The book is very colorful and very nicely illustrated. Kids (and adults) will love it. I thought the lesson was wonderful.

No comments: