Blogs by Category

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Waiting for Christmas - Advent story for kids

Book Cover
Waiting for Christmas
A Story about the Advent Calendar
by Kathleen Long Bostrom

There is an author's note at the start of this book explaining how and when the first Advent calendars came into being. Very neat information. The story told in the book is based on the tradition of how the first Advent calendars started. It is a very cute story. A wonderful read. Aimed more at younger children.

At the end of the book are five suggestions for creating your own Advent calendar, chains, and pictures of art wall. Great ideas. I recommend getting this book now so that you can utilize the ideas and be ready for the coming Advent season. Great suggestions. One I will share here because my youngest wants me to do this for him. All my children love the Advent calendars that have the chocolate candies in them but my youngest is allergic to dairy. He can't eat that chocolate. He is such a good sport - he asks if he can be the opener and they can be the eaters. Isn't that the sweetest thing. Children who live with allergies, I find are so used to not being able to eat certain things that it just become accepted to them. It has just always been that way for my youngest and he just knows that is how life is. I do try to do things just for him (to the point where the others actually comment on why is it all about what he can eat! Moms can never win!)

Anyway, the one idea from the book for an Advent calendar is to make a treat calendar. Tie twenty-four pieces of candy or cookies onto a piece of cardboard that has been decorated for Christmas. Remove one treat each day! Since we would make this ourself we could ensure that only things JJ can eat would be on it. I am thinking of doing this one this year! I will take a picture if I get it done. We first have to do our Thanksgiving Tree. More on that in a day or two!

No comments: