Blogs by Category

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Black Bean Soup with Sausage

I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out great. We really loved it.

2 cans black beans
6 cups of water
4 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of chopped onion
2 cups of chopped celery
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used only 1/8 t. - and it was more bland - I like it this way - if you really like it spicier - then add the full 1/2 t.)
8 oz. fully cooked Polish sausage cut up

Throw everything in to the slow cooker except the Polish sausage. Cook several hours on high. If you are going to cook it all day - then put it on medium or low.

Just prior to eating add the polish sausage and cook for about 1/2 hour more.

This is really good with hot brown rice. I made the rice and put it in the bowls first. Then added the soup. Plus we found that croutons were wonderful in the soup. They added some nice flavor.

3 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Yum! This sounds delish

Melissa said...

Sounds good...thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

It did turn out very good! I have to say that I did make it mild. If you like it a bit zippier - add more of the red pepper. I put the bare minimum in and truly I liked it that way. I was also making a double batch to take some to a friend who just had major surgery --- and somehow I just didn't think after having major surgery that alot of zip was needed. Seems like mild is better for the system after surgery.