Blogs by Category

Monday, February 1, 2010

The NO Complaining Rule

I probably haven't said it before - but I work part time at our church in our confirmation program. Our church is fairly large and we have roughly 400 students going through confirmation classes. I am the administrator - kind of a behind the scenes person - that just helps make things flow. I like the behind the scenes part. And my gift from God is organization. It is a good fit. Plus the hours are extremely flexible which makes it workable with homeschooling. And the extra bit of income in this economy is always helpful.

We have quarterly in-service staff meetings. This upcoming one is rather interesting. We have been asked to read the book, The NO Complaining Rule by Jon Gordon and come prepared to discuss it. We are not being asked to read it because there are problems at the church but because it is just a book with great ideas for creating a positive environment at the workplace - and who doesn't want that! Mostly, I find that working at the church is always positive. God's light just shines there and I really haven't had bad days at work. I think it is good to stay focused on the positives. These are tough economic times and with that our church can only spend what it takes in - therefore when times are tough - giving is down and budgets need to be cut. This can be a negative or handled in a very positive and enriching way. We did have to let some staff members go and I think this book is coming at a wonderful time - to be sure we are focusing in on the positives.

I really like what he has to say. First he talks about how important a simple smile can be to brighten the day of others. No one can frown in the face of a smile! It can change a negative to a positive. One of the main characters in the book has had a very rough year and used to always smile. Now she walks by people and never notices them. She is only focused on her life, her problems, her issues. She forgot one of God's commandments, 'love thy neighbor as thyself'. But to love thy neighbor, first one has to notice their neighbor. When we are so busy wallowing in self pity, we sometimes don't notice others often have it worse.

A great line from the book is when he is recounting the show with Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Snoopy is sad he was not invited to the Thanksgiving meal and then he realized, "It could be worse. I could have been born a turkey."

We all could have been the turkey but God put us in the perfect place, in the perfect time for our own growth. We may not see it as perfect but nothing God does is to harm us but for our benefit. And as long as that is our focus we will see that we aren't the turkeys. Isn't life grand - we aren't the turkeys!!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Sounds like a great book. I'm going to see if our library has it. I know I sometimes get in the habit of complaining about our busy schedule, but it's not "really" complaining because those who know me know I thrive on our schedule so it's more of a "joking" comment than a complaining one... but STILL there is always room for improvement!

Hmmmm...wonder how we can get around not complaining about TOG (LOL) changes....

Debbie said...

It really is a great book - I have really enjoyed it.
Oh but in the book it does distinguish between mindless complaining and complaining that is seeking a solution. Complaints do lead to better products if when a person complains they also bring forth a viable solution. Believe it or not I have done that when I have called the company. I have listed out many things that I feel are viable solutions. And some of my solutions they have agreed that they would like to eventually implement - or in a perfect world would love to do but for various reasons - much to do with cost and contracts with World book - they can't implement them. Plus thankfully I only have 1 year that is digital where I have to put up with the issues. I have said to them that I wonderful who exactly they are targeting their product to if it is not appealing to someone like me - who is in a virtual co-op, has more computers than people in the house and has a husband that is a computer programmer. Wouldn't we BE their target customer???? And if we are not, then doesn't that say something about the product there!