Blogs by Category

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Stepping into Sunlight by Sharon Hinck

What an interesting book! The focus is about healing and trusting God after a traumatic incident. The main character is a chaplain's wife. She obviously does have a belief in God and does know God. She is at a gas station convenient store when it gets held up. Two people are shot to death in front of her and she is spared because the gun itself jams as the robber takes aim at her. A very traumatic event and she withdraws from the world. She finds it difficult to go out and has panic attacks every time she does go out. Normal, everyday activities become incredibly difficult. And she has a hard time trusting in God - where was He during this? And why didn't God prevent it from happening?

She sinks into a depression that she fears she will never crawl out of and finally decides she must force herself to do tasks -- or she will lose her battle with the depression. She begins keeping a notebook and keeping lists. Then she comes up with a plan to do one nice thing for someone each day. When she is filled with panic about the outside world the nice thing is sometimes an emailed note of appreciation or a note of encouragement on a blog.

While this book's focus is depression that results due to being involved in a major crime (a post traumatic), I really could relate to the depression aspect. I experienced it in a much milder form than the book describes after having my miscarriage. It is like being in a black hole and it takes a while to feel like you have the ability, energy and fortitude to crawl back up and out of the hole. For me and for this main character in the book, it was only with God's help that we were able to get out of the hole. I really believe He pushed, pulled and shoved me up and out of the hole.

I am reading another book - Where is God? Both these books speak to the aspect of finding God in difficult times and also while going through those times feeling somewhat like He left. Where is God is just a great title because at one point or another we all end up walking along or crossing a bridge or dealing with a crisis and wonder - where is He? Why did He leave me? Why isn't he fixing this? Isn't that really what the famous footprints poem is about - except that the author has already reached the realization that there is only one set of footprints because God is carrying him/her. It is during trying times that we can feel like we are all alone and it is important to find ways to reach out to God - so that we can feel His presence and know He is there - it is so very important to find ways to stay connect to God.

Anyway - I will blog more about the Where is God book later. I just wanted to share about Stepping into the Sunlight. Excellent book - and I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Thank you for sharing! I will have to check it out.

Debbie said...

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it.
It was a very good book even if it was covering the not so fun topic of depression.
I thought she covered it very well and at one point or another - really we all experience something that send us into a sad moment - for some it is mild depression and others it can be debilitating. I just found some great things in the book to help.

Cynthia said...

I think I have a couple of budding Edison's in my house as well given the amount of mess on their desks (LOL).