Blogs by Category

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The NO Complaining Rule

He lists three techniques or tools for changing from being a complainer to a NO complainer.

(From page 49 in the book)
1) The BUT ....... Positive Technique.
This one is basically turning the negative thought into a positive one.
Oh no the car won't start, but ....... at least I have a car!
Everyone complains and when in the middle of that complaint - you realize I am being negative - then add a positive thought to finish it off and turn it around.

2) Focus on the "Get to" instead of the "Have to"
This one I have seen in action and it can be such a powerful testimony to God. A good friend of ours from our bible study has recently been diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. It has spread beyond the 'woman area'. She has been give 2 to 5 years to live. She is an amazing witness for Christ. Everything for her right now is the 'I get to'! Instead of it being I have to drive my daughter to school, she is at the point of 'I am so grateful to be alive and am thrilled I am here to be able to drive her to school. I get the privilege of driving her and it is an honor.' It is sad that it takes most of us some live changing event to realize that we don't have to do anything, but that we get to do these tasks. We should be thankful we have the legs to walk and get to walk the dog, we have the arms/hands and get to make dinner, we have our sight and get to drive, etc. How often we forget that we should be thankful instead of grumbling and complaining.

3) Turn complaints into solutions.
This one shows that complaints can be productive. A company doesn't want a bunch of yes men and women. It won't be successful. It takes that person who can say - oh dear - did you think about this? These are justifiable complaints that solve problems and fix issues. First a problem must be identified and "the complaint moves you toward a solution. Every complaint represents an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive."

Three very simple tools that we can all use to change from being a complainer / whiner to being more positive. To have positive thought and positive actions with those thoughts.

I have actually been thinking of instituting the No complaining rule in our house. My boys aren't big whiners so I don't really feel like we have alot of complaining. Still we do have those negative thoughts that could be turned around. I know my husband looked outside this morning and said - oh no, it snowed. This could easily be turned into 'oh no, it snowed, but doesn't it look pretty. It made the world look all white and pure again. How beautiful is that!' I know he was just thinking of having to drive in it! :)

No comments: