Blogs by Category

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oh this is my middle son

My husband found this fantastic quote from Thomas Edison and after reading it we both just said - that is JL for sure!

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."

JL is our child that ALWAYS has junk stashed in his room, in his pockets, on his desk. He picks up old nails, pieces of wire, bottle caps (thing I would define as junk) and he brings them home to guard as treasures. I am always pulling things out of the washer and dryer (because some treasures don't make it out of the pockets prior to entering the wash) --- and I wonder what would possess the child to bother to pick this up and drag it home in his pockets.

Now I realize I have an Edison in the making!!

4 comments:

Our Blessed Journey said...

has he created anything with his treasures yet? how neat!

Melissa said...

Oh Debbie, your JL sounds just like my Will! He is forever bringing in "junk" and I usually say to him, "Can we throw this out?" and of course he responds with "No way Mom! I can use that to make a ____ (you can fill in the blank here)." He hasn't actually MADE a whole lot of anything, but he does have some pretty neat ideas!

Debbie said...

Funny story - he has tried to make things. He was out in the backyard this summer - building a protective covering for his tiny tree he was trying to get to grow with scrap wood he found and rescued from somewhere and nails he had found. He (not thinking) left a nail in the wood and left it lying up. And yes stepped right on it. So I get the call from my husband about what to do about the injured foot.

My husband was inside relaxing at the time and didn't think too much about it when at first the youngest came in for a bandaid - then the youngest came back for half a roll of toilet paper because (in his words) there was a lot of blood. Okay - time to check this out!

And after cleaning out the wound very well, it had stopped bleeding and healed up just fine. He had his tetanus shot up to day so it wasn't a big worry. We just had to watch for infection. And there wasn't any.

Debbie said...

Melissa - isn't it amazing what they will 'find' as treasures and drag home! Anything lying on the ground can become an instant find and a must keep. I am always thinking - 'seriously, do we really need to keep that?!' I am to the point where - okay you can keep it but don't let me find it in the wash! :)