Blogs by Category

Monday, November 10, 2008

The Paper Bag Christmas

by Kevin Alan Milne

It is that time of year where I like to start reading sentimental Christmas stories. I just love to stay up late - when the house is quiet and the kids have gone to bed - and the lights of the Christmas tree are on (of course it is too early in the season for Christmas lights yet but we are getting close). This book was really good. 

Here are a few quotes from the book. 

"Christmas began in the heart of God. It is complete only when it reaches the heart of man." p. 81

In one part of the book the children are re-enacting the Christmas story. One of the boys really wanted to be a wise man, so they allowed 4 wise men. He was born in India and is Hindu. He wanted to really understand the purpose of the wise men and wanted to understand Jesus. 

Here is a great paragraph from the book. It is the speech that the 4th wise man gives when he presents his gift to the Christ child.

"I was born in India and do not know much of your religion. I do not know if this child is the Savior. But from what I have read he is certainly a great prophet. He will be worshipped by many as the very Son of God. .... I have read from the Bible, of the things he will do and the things he will teach when he gets older. Surely this young child is destined for greatness and worthy of the world's greatest gifts. But I have no such gift to bring him. 

There was a collective gasp through the room as Madhu opened up an empty box. Then he began speaking again. One day, this child will tell those who follow him, 'If ye love me, keep my commandments.' And what will he command them? 'This is my commandment, that ye love one another, as I have loved you.' If this is truly the Son of God, then there is no worldly gift that he needs. He does not ask for gold, or wealth, or money. He asks only that we love others. And so, that will be my gift to him. I will try harder to love everyone, regardless of who they are or what they look like. ... And I will try to overlook the few things that make us different and focus instead on the many things that make us all the same. .... It is a small gift, I know, but it is the only thing I have to offer Christ." 
p. 124-125



No comments: