Blogs by Category

Friday, July 9, 2010

"The Me Generation"

We went to a local parade on the 4th of July. My two younger ones were in the parade. It was more challenging because of my husband being on crutches. In order to make this work, I went to a spot close to the end of the parade where I knew there was shade - and dropped off my husband and oldest son (to help Dad). We got there way early. There was hardly anyone there yet. My husband sat back from the road a bit so he would stay in the shade. We knew we would then not be in the 'front row' but we had lawn chairs. Therefore, we felt that if someone sat in front of us we would still be able to see. And Tom would feel better sitting in the shade on a 90 degree hot, humid day.

Well, we didn't plan on the "ME Generation"!!! Several of them moved right in front of us. Now we KNEW we would be in the second row and we were expecting people to SIT in front of us. The problem is that the "ME Generation" stood in front. They showed up just as the parade was starting - they were not early. So they saw us there first. They moved in with strollers and stood in front of everyone behind them. No consideration at all of others. I had to pick up my chair and move way down so I could see my own kids when they came by.

I was upset and was going to say something but decided instead to just document the incident ---and blog about them. Here they are!!! The ME Generation!!! One of their more finer moments!

Notice that they are half way out into the street ---- this is not before the parade mind you --- but while the parade is going on --- in between the various parade participants they would wander out. At one point, a march band came by --- and they did NOT move off the road --- but the marching band had to side step around them!! I kid you not. One just can't make this stuff up!


Here is the whole flock of them - standing in front of us and another family!
See all the people sitting --- and the flock standing in front. It is one thing if it were children - children get excited and stand up - but children are short. Adults in chairs can see around that. And well, children are just forgiven. They are young and excited! We had a flock of inconsiderate adults that saw us sitting there, moved in after the fact and proceeded to stand in front of us. Seriously!! I cannot even imagine doing that to others. We had no problems with them going in front of us but we did expect the front row to sit. We also understood and expected that if they had someone in the parade - they might stand up and wave at that point. Makes sense!! But to stand through the whole parade when you know people are behind you?!

All I can say is 'welcome to the Me Generation'! Isn't it fun!

No comments: