Blogs by Category

Friday, July 31, 2009

View from the Porch Swing

My son and I are currently doing a bible study together. One of the exercises was to fast-forward to when you are 75, or 85 or 95 ......... Imagine you're sitting on the porch swing looking back on your life. We were then to write all the things that we want to make sure we have done by age 75. These things if left undone, are the ones that would cause you to look back with regret.

The exercise reminded me a little of the movie "The Bucket List".

It was interesting though because my take on this was slightly different (of course).

For me, I was picturing myself in heaven waiting at the heavenly gate for other family members to show up. My regrets would center around that I haven't always felt comfortable talking about Jesus and telling HIS message to certain family members. My regret would be that I ran out of time and therefore I stand there - and they never show up.

My grandmother on my mom's side was an atheist. My husband and I have felt that we are changing the course in our family. My son and I talked about how what we do as a family centers around teaching our kids about Jesus so that they come to know him personally as their Lord and Savior. For both my husband and I will be standing at the gates of heaven waiting to welcome them. That would be our greatest joy.

So what is your view from the porch swing like --- or (since I changed the exercise slightly) what is your view from the gates of Heaven? What do you want to be sure to accomplish? What is your bucket list? Share with me.

No comments: