Blogs by Category

Monday, July 13, 2009

Worldviews - very interesting

I am reading a new book called The Seven Faith Tribes by George Barna.

It is simply fascinating. In it he talks about worldviews. He defines worldview this way:

p. 13 - "A worldview is simply the mental and emotional filter that each person embraces and uses to make sense of and respond to the world. Everyone has a worldview. Few have thought much about it or where it comes from, and even fewer can articulate the contents of their worldview. But every person's life is a result of his or her worldview. And every nation's character is a product of the cumulative worldviews possessed and incarnated by its people."

I started thinking about this and wondering am I remembering to teach 'worldview' properly to my children. Have I been covering it in such a way that they could articulate it and maybe even defend it. And do I live my life as an example of what I believe? In other words, are my actions, consistent with what I believe my own worldview to be? Do I live it out on a daily basis?

Then he goes on to say (p. 14) "The bottom line is simply this: the substitution of alternative worldviews for the traditional Judeo-Christian version is responsible for America incrementally destroying itself."

Wow that is a bold statement. I am curious to see where the rest of the book is heading. And if what he says is true, then can America save itself? Is there hope? If so many now have different worldviews, does it signal the destruction of America as we once knew it and as the framers designed it to be? Can the America that the framers designed only exist if America's worldview remains Judeo-Christian? Interesting questions to ponder. I am curious to see what answers he has in store in the rest of the book.

No comments: