Blogs by Category

Sunday, April 18, 2010

6 year old fears

Last night, our 6 year old expressed to me that he was terrified of Daddy's upcoming surgery. When I asked him why, he told me it was because he was afraid "the doctor would cut off Daddy's foot."

I have no idea how or why he came up with that one! But it was a very real fear for him. I talked to him last night about how the doctor is an expert and will be taking out the cyst that doesn't belong but leaving the foot that does belong. Plus I mentioned to my husband that he should spend a few minutes today talking to JJ. Hopefully, we have eased his fears somewhat. Isn't it kind of interesting how things get translated for a child. We have been honest about what this surgery is about but somehow he felt certain Daddy's foot would be cut off. Still, we would love Daddy with or without a foot. Although I am certain that Daddy wants to keep the foot! :)

No comments: