Blogs by Category

Monday, April 19, 2010

update on Tom

We are home. We had some excitement but most everything is good news.

1) They sent a sample of the tumor to pathology during the surgery and the initial tests came back that it is not cancer and is a benign tumor. (Excellent news!) So the surgery proceeded. They will still send the whole thing that was removed in for more detailed testing just to be sure.

2) The surgery took longer that expected. We were scheduled for 90 minutes. They told me up front it could easily go 2 hours and not to worry. It actually went about 2 1/2 hours. But they told me that some people's body's just don't easily 'give up' the tumor and he might really have to dig it out and others it just comes out easily. There is no rhyme or reason --- but knowing my Tom - I just figured we were looking at more difficult and therefore more time.

3) It is really good that we got in for surgery so soon - the doctor noticed that there was a weak spot in the bone due to the tumor that was very close to being a fracture. He felt that was where Tom's pain was coming from and it was that pain that caused Tom to really seek out an answer to this. We are very thankful that it didn't fracture and could be fixed the right way with a great doctor instead of the fracture happening and being rushed into emergency room --- and not getting as experienced of a doctor in this type of surgery.

4) Tom did have some problems waking up while in recovery --- although this didn't NOT surprise me at all. He was so stressed about the upcoming surgery that he didn't sleep much the week before - a couple hours each night. So when they put him under and he got to sleep --- his body was just ready to sleep. And not wake from that peaceful sleep. So it wasn't really a reaction to the meds as much as a body just worn out and needing sleep.

5) They also had trouble managing his pain afterward. The doctor really thought that Tom would end up spending the night. (We found this out when we talked to him this evening - more on that one in a minute). They were able to find some pain medication he could tolerate and was strong enough for him. Still he was in recovery for double the length of time as they couldn't wake him and couldn't control the pain. It was bad enough that the doctor had been told about it and really was surprised that Tom was able to pull around enough to go home.

6) But we did head home. The whole sitting up in the car with the foot down --- that was painful for him and caused him to be rather light headed by the time we got home. I am so surprised that we actually got him in the house without falling. But he is now sitting comfortable in the recliner.

7) And then the problem arose - I went to fill his pain meds and when I got there they told me that the whole form wasn't filled out and Tom's name and info wasn't on it - so they couldn't fill it. And narcotics can not be phoned in. I was told to go back to the hospital to get it filled in correctly. I went back and got there at 8:05 p.m. --- it is day surgery - the day is over. They are locked up and gone. Okay now it is officially time to panic. I drove home and got the number for the doctor - knowing he is not the on call person --- and called the paging service. For some reason they paged his doctor instead of the on call person. When he found out what the hospital had done (and it was an error on the hospital's part as it was their stuff not filled in --- the doctor had done his part on the form and turned it over to the discharge nurse as part of the paperwork and you can clearly see his part was done.) That dear, sweet, wonderful doctor who wasn't even on call - drove to his office and met me there -filled out a new handwritten prescription for us. The only issue was it was his downtown office in the 3rd ward. It was now 8:30 p.m. and I was concerned - I am not as familiar with the 3rd ward and during the day the area is totally safe - at night - not so much. My husband comes out of his fog enough to suggest I go get our next door neighbor and have him drive me. Excellent suggestion!!! Don't know why I didn't think of it first but that is why more heads are better than one. (Many thanks to my wonderful neighbor and to our fabulous doctor -- who helped make this be a 'little issue' and not a big one!) My neighbor knows that area really well and was delighted to drive me. I also finally got to eat a sandwich in the car while he drove! That helped me feel better.

So we now have the appropriate strong narcotic meds and Tom is a happy camper! Hopefully the night will go smoothly. They also sent us home with an antibiotic because of the risk of infection.

No comments: