Blogs by Category

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Why I Stayed by Gayle Haggard

I didn't think I would like this book. This book is Gayle's story and why she didn't leave her husband, Ted Haggard, after he had committed adultery. His adultery wasn't the 'normal' kind. He turned from her to men.

Honestly, I am not sure how one recovers form that kind of betrayal and how would you ever trust your spouse again? While I respect her right to do what she wants, I didn't think I would find anything good about her choosing to stay or that I would even understand or agree with her thoughts, ideas or choice.

And yet, I do find I liked alot of what she had to say. She is coming from the aspect that all people sin and are in need of a savior. Is his sin any different really than the sins I have committed or the sins that you have committed? His sin was very visible and done in the public eye. Most of us don't end up having to be punished quite so severely for our sins. He lost his job, his income, his reputation, all of his friends, and his church family. Gayle also talked about how the sin was committed against her and yet others were trying to enact their punishment.

She also talks about restoration and what should be the church's role in dealing with sinners. Isn't the church made up of sinners? So if one of us falls into sin, then how do we get that person on the right road? And how do we restore that person to the church? She was very upset with how her husband was treated by the church. The church wanted them to leave the state. Both she and her husband were banned from setting foot on church property or attending any church service. And I can see her point. She and her husband were cut off from their church family and shouldn't it have been the church family that should have helped them to turn from sin - not cut them off because they were sinner. What kind of church says 'you can't be here because you are a sinner'? Isn't that why we need a savior? Isn't that why we need a family of believers - to help lift us up, pray for us and comfort us in the tough times.

Her book had a lot of good points in it and I really find that I like Gayle. I think she is a far better person than I am as I don't know if I could find a way to trust my husband again. She is pretty amazing. She had a lot of good things to say.

No comments: