Blogs by Category

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Southwest Vegetarian Bake --- ohh this one is good!


As you can see, my son couldn't wait to dive in. As a matter of fact I got the 'must you take a picture of it? I really want to eat now' comment from him as I was trying to take a picture for the blog.

3/4 cup uncooked brown rice (I believe they want the long cooking - brown rice - I cheated and used the brown minute rice that cooks in 10 minutes --- but I used 2 full cups of it uncooked)
1 1-2 cups water (this is to make the rice and I followed the rice directions not this)

1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies (I used mild)
1 cup salsa (I used mild)
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 can sliced ripe olives drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend

In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender. (Again, I followed the rice directions on this.)

In a large bowl, combine the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2 1/2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.

Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

This recipe was taken from Taste of Home The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook. We really liked it alot.

2 comments:

Candice said...

Oooh, I may have to try this on Sunday!

Debbie said...

We really enjoyed it. My husband added some hot sauce to it as he likes things spicy. The kids and I like things mild. But it would be easy to spice this up if you like it that way. Just get the hot salsa and hot tomatoes with green chilies.

We have had a few mild and cooler days here - so it was a perfect dish to make. I don't like turning on the oven when it is 80 or 90 degrees out and humid.