Blogs by Category

Friday, May 28, 2010

Thankful Fridays


Give thanks to the Lord, for he is
good;
his love endures forever.
Psalm 106:1



I have so much to be thankful for and decided to try to do Thankful Fridays where I list specifically the things that happened this week that I am thankful for.

1) I am extremely thankful that Tom's tumor was not cancer and while he will be laid up for awhile it is all fixable.

2) I am thankful the tumor was caught in time - we have heard of someone that had a tumor in their shoulder and ended up with a prosthetic.

3) I am extremely thankful for our wonderful friends in our bible study group that have been so great. We had a pizza party tonight and it really lifted my husband's spirits to be with other men - talking guy stuff. Thank you guys - you all rock!

4) I am also thankful for the women (and Steve - he makes the pizzas and they are soooooo goood!) in our bible study group that made such terrific food tonight - and understood that I just wasn't up to bringing anything. So much going on and making food was beyond me and they graciously understood. They were just glad we were there and it was so great to see everyone.

5) I am thankful for my kids that are terrific - they have been so helpful - especially great at running errands for Dad. They have been great at helping Dad with all his needs.

6) I am thankful for the German class that my kids are involved in and the wonderful teacher. She is fabulous and I am so thankful she has been willing to share her talents with our children. She is just such a great person, a Christian and an incredibly great teacher.

7) I am thankful for wonderful neighbors - especially one - right next door who has been a great help. He is just willing to do anything we need. We haven't needed much but just knowing he is available if needed is peace of mind. Yesterday, he took the two youngest to a driving range --- it gave them something fun and productive to do - and they so enjoyed themselves. I am so thankful he thought to ask them to go. What a wonderfully nice man! I am thankful he is my neighbor.

8) I am thankful we got our broken windows fixed and I am thankful (and amazed) that I was able to get them installed. That is normally the husband's job and I was actually able to do it. (Okay Tom - confess - it shocked you that I was able to do it!! Go ahead say it - you never thought I could do it!)

9) I am thankful that I have a job at the church that has such flexibility - I can take work home, I can work around all the chaos going on in our family. I have a wonderful boss who is a Godly man that puts family first and the job second. I am so thankful for the little bit of extra income and thankful I can work around all the other important things in my life - my kids, my husband and homeschooling.

10) I am thankful for movies that give my husband and our family something to do --- while he is laid up.

11) I am so thankful I won the prize that one of my blog friends was giving away. We rarely go to the movies and I won a $25 gift card to go to the movies - I am thrilled as it is a special treat for the family that Tom can do and handle. So much seems to be not doable for him right now - and this is something he can do. Whoo hoooo - a special movie this weekend sometime.

12) I am thankful for our dog that is truly man's best friend. He has been such a love and joy to have in our family.

13) I am thankful for Grandparents. My parents called to invite my oldest to come camping with them for about 10 days in June - he can't wait and is so excited to have something special to do and he deserves it - he has been a great help to Dad but deserves some time to himself. He will get time to fish, canoe, bike, hike and just have time to read and relax. I think it is great. I am so thankful they are willing to take him for some special time away.

14) I am thankful for technology that allows me to blog , to do virtual co-ops, and to stay connected with friends all over the country.

15) I am thankful for my family and very, very grateful that we still have our Dad (my husband). There would just be a huge hole without him.

I would love to hear what you are thankful for!

4 comments:

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

What a great idea! I've been praying for you and your family through Tom's trials. You have such a great attitude! I'm sorry I don't get to comment more often, but I'm reading and cheering for you. ;0)

I enjoy your book reviews, too.

Blessings!

Debbie said...

Thank you so much Sara. I know you too have had your health issues -- and yet God has been wonderfully good at carry us (you and us) through them. We can just see and feel His hand on us as we have gone through this all. He has been amazingly good.

I am glad you liked the Thankful Fridays. I am hoping to keep it up. It is so easy to dwell on the negative and yet our family has so much to be thankful for - and I wanted that to be our focus.

And thank you for letting me know about the the book reviews. I wasn't sure if anyone was reading them but I know personally some of the best books I have found lately were recommendations from either a friend or blog friend. And I have had lots of time to read lately!

Jackie in AR said...

Thankful Fridays are a wonderful idea, Debbie! I so enjoyed reading your list. I am thankful that you have a husband who is on the mend. It may take a little while to get there, but it sounds like he is gaining strength and will be back to his old self. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of picking up the slack! I am very impressed that you successfully installed windows! I am so thankful that we are part of an online community together.

Debbie said...

Hi Jackie
I too am so thankful for the online co-op. It has really been such a blessing for our family. Truly. We didn't have others locally that were ready for the high school level and my son was ready --- but he likes having others to converse with and talk over the various points with - he seems to really gain alot from the discussions. Virtual was just the thing for us. We love it and the group has such wonderful kids and moms.We just really are enjoying ourselves. Plus lately I have been so busy with life and taking care of Tom - I know they are still getting the most out of the curriculum - they still have to do all their work and still have the discussions even if I am too busy to be a part of it all right now. I am thankful I did my teaching earlier in the quarter. :) And thankful for all the others teaching. They are awesome!