Blogs by Category

Monday, May 31, 2010

Trip to the Movie Theater

An outing for us all.

Tom is only up to short trips as he can't ride long in the car without being totally uncomfortable --- and he can only do sitting activities.

He was kind of miffed this weekend as the weather was so beautiful - we have for years camped every Memorial Day weekend and more times than not we have been poured on - and it has been cold and not so nice. This Memorial Day weekend was fabulous. How ironic is that!

So Tom was feeling blue about not being able to camp. I knew we all needed to do something special to chase away those blues --- earlier this week the package had show up - on a friend's blog I had been the winner of a Shrek movie package (ya - thank you!) - that included a $25 gift card to go to the movies. It seemed like this was just the thing - a special outing to chase away the blues.

We invited my parents to come grill out for lunch and join us for the movie. They came for lunch but opted out of the movie. Mom has Dad working on some house projects. She wanted to price the items to see if her wishlist was do-able.

The younger kids and I saw Shrek. My oldest really wanted to see Prince of Persia --- my husband wanted to see both but I really didn't want my oldest to have to sit there by himself - that just isn't fun. So Tom went with him to see Prince of Persia. I would have rather that we were all together but this made everyone happy - and it was a special day for us all. Both movies were showing at the same time so it worked. Shrek ended a bit earlier so we had time for a trip to Michael's (I got a vanilla candle for $1.88 - I was thrilled! Plus I got a coupon for 50% off one item as of June 6th --- my middle child is thrilled as he wants a calligraphy set! He wanted it right then but I told him to wait a few days as 50% off is a big deal! He is impatiently waiting!)

Shrek and Prince of Persia both were very good movies. I really liked Shrek. I appreciated that they showed witches as evil (don't believe in 'good witches'). One of the main themes is that Shrek didn't realize how good his life was and how good he had it until he lost everything. I think we all sometimes look at the glass as half empty instead of half full. We forget to be thankful for what blessings we have and only look at the fact we don't have something or that others have more (and if all we do is compare ourselves - there will always be someone with more or with bigger toys or better house or more money). Shrek finally realizes that the love and family he had are really the blessings to be strived for, fought for and treasured. A movie with a moral I can actually approve of - how rare!

Shrek Forever After 3D

4 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

Sounds like a fun time. My daughter is anxious to see Shrek. I am glad you liked it.

Debbie said...

It was good and was just nice to have an outing Dad could do with us - so many summer activities are active events that just don't work for my husband right now. :( So this was a great thing to do for someone with crutches. He loved it. :)

Melissa said...

I'm glad this fun trip worked out for you! We saw Shrek while on vacation,and I totally agree with everything you said about it! It was a very good movie!

Debbie said...

Hi Melissa,

Yes it was a good movie. I was surprised by how much I liked it. I was really just there for the kids but found myself really entertained too! Hope your vacation was fun!