Blogs by Category

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wild Rice Soup

I made this soup over the weekend. It is one of my favorite! And it is great for vegetarians!
(Although sometimes I do add turkey or chicken - but the recipe doesn't call for it.)
From Betty Crocker's New Choices Cookbook

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced celery (I add more!)
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots (I add more)
1/2 cup chopped onions (I add more)
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers (I add more)
(Obviously I love veggies)
3 tablespoons flour (recipe calls for all purpose - I use whole wheat)
1/4 teaspoons pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
2 1/4 cups Vegetable Stock (usually the soup thickens up so much that I tend to add extra stock or extra water)
1 cup low-fat milk
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (I don't usually toast them - I just throw them in)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I usually don't have fresh on hand - so when I get the whim to make this I either skip it --- or add dry!)

Heat olive oil in a soup pan over medium high heat. Cook celery, carrot, onion, and bell pepper in olive oil - stirring frequently, until onion is tender.

Stir in flour and pepper.

Stir in wild rice and Vegetable stock.
Heat to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in milk, almonds and parsley.
Heat just until hot. Do not boil.

Sometimes I do add turkey for a wild rice and turkey soup.
But it is great without it, too! Enjoy.

3 comments:

Karies place said...

except for the wild rice, it looks yummy!!

Debbie said...

Oh see - we love wild rice. And it has been so cold and damp here lately - soup has been such a hit. I have made two different kinds in the last week.

Our Blessed Journey said...

I LOVE wild rice too---and obviously the vegetarian part--so thank you--I'll have to give this a shot!!